Teddy's Favorite Things

Tuesday 22 March 2016

Home Sweet Home

Teddy’s personality changed to be completely outgoing once he took some time to explore his new environment and made new people friends.  His first night at home was very easy.  He was a quiet, shy puppy who followed all of the rules and was perfectly potty trained.  He slept through the night in its entirety.  I obviously bragged about this to all of my friends and family, who assumed I was being a typical mother, boosting his finer qualities, suppressing his wrong doings.  Well, I should not have said anything, because he quickly became a typical crying, peeing, pooing puppy.  Its ok- he is still my angel sent from heaven, and everyone loves him.

Teddy was very timid and afraid of everything when we first pulled into the driveway. With a lot of stuff to carry into the condo, I assumed Teddy would walk alongside us on his leash.  Teddy was so scared and shaking once I put him down, that I was actually very worried about him.  I scooped him up, put him close to my chest, and he calmed down instantly- a tactic that definitely came in handy on our first visit outside, and our first bath (more on that later).

Teddy took a long time to explore his new surroundings.  He was definitely unsure of what to do and where he was when he first walked in the condo.  I should have taken him right to his Pet Loo, because he peed on the floor.  I was not angry, as I should have known better.  He had not gone to the bathroom in 4 hours, was scared, and had no idea where he was.  DUH time to pee.

Before I headed to Spencerville, I left treats around the home in the key areas that I wanted him to explore, in order for him to get accustomed and to condition him to like certain places, namely his crate.  After learning that puppies need their crates covered so that they are dark, I entrusted my cousin Sarah, who is a talented seamstress to make him a glam, custom crate cover- how beautiful is it?! She even made a cover for his bed in there, and a spare one for when it is in the laundry.  His name is embroidered beautifully in gold on his bed covers and door.

I left a trail of kibble towards his water and food bowl, but he did not have much of an appetite for lunch or dinner.  I left some cheese near his crate, a small piece just inside of it so he would go in and explore (he LOVES Kraft singles).  Upon first sniff he loved his crate (to change once he realized he cannot come and go as he pleases).

As I mentioned before, Teddy did have an accident when we first walked in, but, his bathroom area was already set up (he just did not know to go there).  Teddy had been trained for a week or so to only use the bathroom on newspaper. 

It is not in my training plan for him to be using the bathroom inside, so I purchased a product called the Pet Loo which is pretty smart.  It is plastic drawer, filled with some powder similar to litter, and on top, a piece of astroturf.  His solid waste needs to be picked up, but his liquids filter through the grass, into the drawer, and then turn the powder into a solid for simple disposal.

I put newspaper on top of and around the Pet Loo, so that he knows he can only go there.
Timid Teddy was too scared to jump on and off the big scary Pet Loo at first, but now actually enjoys jumping off and doing some tricks.  He goes there for most of his bathroom breaks, but lately, we have been having some issues where he would rather use the floor. 

Teddy LOVES to cuddle.  He follows my right foot everywhere I go, and nuzzles beside me whenever I am still.  If he can reach, he jumps into my lap, or into my arms and just buries himself.   He is honestly the cutest, most heartwarming being, and I genuinely believe that if every nasty world leader or terrorist had a puppy as special as my Teddy, there would be world peace.


Teddy’s first sleep was amazing, and led me to believe that this whole crate training, puppy raising thing would be a piece of cake.  He fell asleep while lying down with me, watching TV, woke up to use the bathroom, and went into his crate at around midnight.  He did not make a sound or wake up until 6:30 the following morning when he ran out of the crate to his Pet Loo.

For more how-to's, tips and ideas, make sure you keep checking KeepingUpWithTheodor.blogspot.ca, and subscribe! Don't forget to stay in touch on my Instagram @KeepingUpWithTheodor for a regular dose of cute pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment