Teddy's Favorite Things

Monday 13 February 2017

New Puppy Checklist

Remember this little guy? It is hard to believe I brought him home almost a year ago!


My good friends are about to bring home their first puppy on April 8.  I made them a checklist of everything they need to buy and consider before he comes home.

I can't wait for Teddy to have a new best friend, and am so excited for my friends to embark on this journey!

The following are a list of things you will want to buy before he comes home:

  1. Crate:  I chose one that is collapsible and foldable.  It makes travelling and staying over at places such as a cottage, much easier.  Teddy uses the  MidWest iCrate Folding Metal Dog Crate
  2. Crate liner: This small bed comes in the same dimensions as the crate that you choose, and provides comfort to the little pup.  One warning though, don't put it in until he realizes his crate is his home and stops having accidents (or you will be washing it a lot).
  3. Lots of Blankets:  Use these to line the crate, and also to let him know which spaces are his spaces.  I got a pile of blankets from the pet section at Dollarama, washed them often, especially in the beginning, and they have held up well!
  4. Food and water bowls, and mat
  5. Small bed
  6. Toys: Get one of each type; pull rope, stuffed toys, kong, and Nylabone.  Teddy prefers the stuffed type, but a lot of dogs destroy them.  Make sure you don't leave him unattended with the toys in the beginning, just in case he rips them.  You don't want him choking!
  7. Pee Pads: Most puppies come trained to pee on paper, and from there you train them to pee outside.  I trained teddy to wait by the door when he needs to pee, and left one by the door in the beginning in case he had an accident.  Teddy used them for a couple of weeks before I took them away.  These ones from Amazon are great value
  8. Training Treats: Teddy loves freeze dried liver, specifically Benny Bullys.
  9. Teething Toy: Teddy has a couple of these - This one is the cutest.  In the shape of a pig, you soak it in water, and then freeze it! The cool ice provides relief on his teething gums.
  10. Food: Your breeder will tell you what he eats.
  11. Collar:  I do not walk Teddy using his collar.  It is moreso a fashion statement, and a place to hang his ID tag, and Rabies Vaccination tag.
  12. Leash: Dogs should walk on a 6ft leash.  What it looks like is up to you!  Retractable leashes are a big no, as you can lose control of the dog. Dont forget poop bags!
  13. Odor Remover: He will pee a lot, and he will pee everywhere!! I really like the Woolite Pet Stain and Odor Remover
  14. Harness: It is best for your dog's leash to be attached to a harness.  They teach them not to pull while they walk, and I would not want to walk my pup by something attached to his neck.  There are a variety of different harnesses, but these are the ones I like:
    1. K9 Explorer by Coastal Pet Products - This is the one Teddy learned to walk with.  The arms slide through, and it clips on the back.  I like it because there is minimal fabric, which leads to less matting and a nicer coat.
    2. Puppia Dog Soft Harness - Teddy has a nice camouflaged one.  I like the different patterns and colors that they come in.  It is made of a soft mesh material.  It slips over their head, then wraps and clips around the body.  I bought it purely because it is cute, but he uses it often, and walks nicely in it.
    3. Buddy Belt - This harness is more expensive than the other 2.  It is made in Canada, of synthetic leather.  I have been considering getting one for Teddy.  It does the same work as the previous 2, at 3 times the cost!

In addition to these products, there are different services and arrangements you should start to consider before picking up your pup:
  1. Vet: My vet is Dr. Vlad Stefanescu at the Yonge-Davenport Pet Hospital.  He has great hours and the nicest staff!  You need to take your pup to the vet within the first 48 hours of bringing them home.  He will check out his general health, and work with you on a vaccination schedule.
  2. Insurance: Most insurance companies are a rip off.  The one I use, is actually not so bad, and I have already earned back my money's worth in emergency visits  (definitely not a good thing, but it shows its value).  I Pay $150 a month, and get back 80% of all visits and medication back, including regular scheduled visits, and vaccines.  There is a one time annual deductible of $100, versus most companies there is a deductible per ailment! I am on the highest plan at Petsecure, and highly recommend it!
  3. Groomer: It really is a matter of preference, but I quite enjoy Dogee Spa on Avenue Road.  They keep Teddy all day, at no extra fee.
  4. Trainer: Most experienced dog owners would agree that puppy school is a waste of time.  Investing that time and money into a good trainer is a much better option.  Troy Tappin at the Family Dog Learning Centre is an amazing trainer.  He basically trained me! I credit Teddy's excellent behavior to him.  Message me, and I will send you his number privately.
  5. Dog Walking: Mila at Paw Theory, is Teddy's second favorite person (next to me).  As a baby, she visited him 3 times a day, took him out to go to the bathroom, fed him, and did some training.  As he grew up, he moved to 2 walks a day.  After he had all of his vaccines, he did 1 group walk per day, and 1 puppy visit, and now he does one big group walk per day.  Mila takes Teddy to a dog park or trail.  He loves it, and is completely exhausted for the rest of the day!
For more how-to's, tips and ideas, make sure you keep checking KeepingUpWithTheodor.blogspot.ca, and subscribe! Don't forget to stay in touch on my Instagram @KeepingUpWithTheodor for a regular dose of cute pictures.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment